Thursday, July 28, 2011

Vowinckel - craft supply in Frankfurt

Yesterday I finally checked out Vowinckel, a craft supply shop I've been meaning to visit since a while.  

I have to admit that the shop felt quite small when I first entered it.  It gave a very different vibe from Idee, another big craft supply shop in town. I could tend to say that Vowinckel is a bit on the 'oldish' side, especially the way they style the shop.  No nonsense, no frills corner shop packed full of crafting goodies.  It works.

And I finally found what I was looking for, supplies to make your own lampshade from scratch.  It's a bit too late now, since I could not find it when I needed it, so we bought already a nice lampshade for our living room.  But it's always good to know where you can find stuff, right? Just in case ;p They also have quite a good selection of hardware, all sorts of pliers, cutters, punchers, wood burner, etc. etc.  And I seriously eyed a stereofoam half bust.... mmm... I could definitely decoupage it, and use it to display necklaces... Wish I could bring it over to Indonesia as a gift for my niece, LOL.


They seem to have quite a big range of paints and glues (this is not something I usually do, so I have no clue, seriously...).  And they have a whole section of candle making and decorating.  Not that it will be useful for me, hahaha.  What IS useful for me is that section where they have all those tiny metal fixtures; corners, poster hangers, plate hangers (seriously...do you know you can buy this thing you can glue behind you plate, instead of circling the bottom old-fashioned-way with wire...I'm stunned...), towel clippers, really cheap plain magnets (I was so close to grabbing them if I did not have a mental image of us already barely able to see the original surface of our fridge flashing....).

What they don't have in abundance is jewelery-making supply.  They have some beads selection, and quite a big selection of wooden beads.  But the fancy-girly-flashy things you'd like to string together and show off when you go to an opera, (and not to a rock concert), they don't really have them.


At a quick glance, the prices seem to be quite a good value.  All in all, this shop is definitely going to be one of my go-to-destinations in town.


And, finally I want to show off my purchase.... GIANT crochet hooks!! Finally!!!  It's a pity they only have the ones in plastic, not the metal ones, but it's good to finally found them in an actual shop.

No comments: