Friday, September 2, 2011

Refashion: Dress up a plain black T-shirt

Did I tell you that we left most of our clothes in Yemen? Yeah? I bet I explained it like a thousand times already, LOL.  Long story short, I was in need of some light, casual T-shirt and decided to ask my dear husband for any old shirts he no longer wears.

I ended up with some white shirts (I hate white shirts, but that's another story), and two back ones.  I decided to start wearing one of the black ones, but first it needs some prettifying, no?

The shirt was rather big, so first step was to take it in in the sides a little bit.  The neck was also a bit too high, so I simply cut around it.  To match the neck, I also cut some centimeter off the sleeves, and left all the edges raw  (they ended up curling up really nicely, so that was good).

Next I made some rough patterns from some old newspaper, and played around with them on the shirt.


Next step is to play around with the yarn.  If you are unsure on how the yarn + pattern will come out, make some trial swatches.  I chose to use only 100% cotton yarn, to avoid having the applique shrinking at different paces.


Crochet away!  Finally attach the applique on to your shirt.  I used black thread for everything, except for the broken-white circle.  I also deliberately did not sew all the way around the biggest circle, to create some sort of pocket, just right for something light like one key (not a whole bunch, mind you) or some tissue paper.  If you decide to make a pocket out of one of the appliques too, make sure you place they pattern in a comfortable place, probably a good idea to pin the pattern on while you are wearing the shirt.


Voila! A 'new' shirt!

My 'secret' pocket!
PS:  My husband was not too convinced at the beginning, but he was quite impressed afterwards.  The shirt also got a rave review during a trip to Spain, so, there you go.  A little bit of color, creativity (and not to mention a bit of guts), goes a long way :)

No comments: